Thursday, October 6, 2022

Playing Offsides by Cali Melle {a review}


Cameron Sawyer is the biggest temptation in my life and I don't know how much longer I'll be able to fight against these feelings.


Playing Offsides is the third book in the Wyncote Wolves series from Cali Melle. This college romance where all the heroes are hockey players called to me immediately. The first two books I highly enjoyed, and the description for Cam's story appealed to me. It sounded like an enemies to lovers or hate to love situation, so naturally I had to give it a read.

My rating for Playing Offsides:


Cameron comes across as a real stand up guy. He's your typical boy next door, and just seems as sweet as can be. He's full of charm, personality, and a fantastic friend. Aspen is someone that I can relate to when it comes to leaving the house. She's a bit of a homebody, and for a college student that's pretty much unheard of. She's also passionate about her future career choice, loves her best friend dearly, and is incredibly independent. Aspen is also very in-tune with other people. She can pick up things about them through observation, and then adjust her thoughts/words/etc to more effectively communicate. It's pretty impressive.

This budding relationship started with a simple ask for help. Well I guess it wasn't all that simple for Cam to approach Aspen, but it had to be done. His scholarship was at risk after all. I was a bit surprised by the fact that Aspen so readily agreed to the tutoring. I thought she would have turned him down and made him work for it a bit. It was through these tutoring sessions that a friendship was formed, which then evolved into a "just for this semester" scenario, and ultimately had our couple finding their happily ever after.

The attraction between these two was strong, and things evolved quickly. But I have to say, from my perspective, their chemistry didn't seem right. Maybe it was because they were both trying to deny things and/or keep them hidden, or maybe they were just too opposite. I haven't put my finger on it. As their story progressed though I found myself liking them together. If anything I think that Aspen keeps Cam grounded. 

Their moment of conflict (the big dramatic moment) was an interesting one to read. I understand the reasoning behind what happened between Cameron and Aspen. I do. It was fear. At the same time though it just goes to show how immature our couple is in this scenario. Yes they had discussed things before all of this began, but you'd think that they would be able to communicate about this as well. Apparently I'm wrong though. BUT I also need to remember that these characters are 20/21, so... I will say that the scene in the library had me sniffling a bit. Seeing that change in them, and the walls going up. It was kind of sad. Their reunion, I can't talk about. I can't. Only because it will spoil things. 

Now for the part of the review where I share my "issues" with the book. The first two chapters of Playing Offsides had me a little perplexed. I didn't understand why we were getting all this info, and how it would come into play with the story. As the story continued, my mind was still preparing for the families to pop up. For their appearances to incite some sort of issue between the characters, or something those lines. I wasn't expecting that to just be random information added to the story. Then there's the fact that Cameron's CLOSE friends don't know that he's attending the college with a scholarship? They've known him for years, you'd think that they of all people would know his home situation, and that he'd need some assistance to attend this school. I don't know. Plus, college is freaking expensive! Then that so called secret that Aspen is hiding? Uh, why did that need to be a secret? It's is a fairly common thing, so I didn't understand her hesitancy with that. Those three things just didn't sit right with.

All in all I did enjoy the story. I liked the characters, I liked the premise, and I look forward to continuing with the series. Especially since it looks like Hayden's story is up next. That man has piqued my curiosity, and I cannot wait to see what woman can put up with his larger than life ego.

If you happen to enjoy college hockey romances, then give this entire series a try. Oh, and Playing Offsides seems to run in a similar timeline as August and Poppy's story (Deflected Hearts). So if you've read that book, then there are scenes that may seem a bit familiar.

Happy Reading,
Laura




Cameron
Two things I never thought I’d a say:

My entire future is about to go up in flames.

And Aspen Rossi is my ticket to keeping my scholarship.

The only problem..She hates me.

Aspen
The last thing that I want to be doing is tutoring Cameron Sawyer.

When he asked for my help, I tried to resist but tutoring another student would look good on my application for med school.

That’s all he is—a means to an end.

However, the more time that we spend together, the harder it is to ignore his charm.

Cam is starting to grow on me, but I can’t get involved with him.

We want two different things out of life We’re on two separate paths…

Our dreams can’t coexist and neither can our hearts. Even if they keep playing offsides.



Thank you to Cali Melle, and Wildfire Marketing Solutions, for providing me with an advanced review copy of Playing Offsides.

(also, I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program. Purchases made through links in this post could lead to me earning a small commission. So thank you!)