Monday, November 28, 2022

Brutal Obsession by S Massery {a review}


There's a certain thrill that comes with a hunt. And that's exactly what this feels like: she's the prey and I'm the predator, forever trying to get her ensnared.

Brutal Obsession is the brand new dark bully romance from S Massery. Tropes for this book include: sports, anti-hero, enemies to lovers, blackmail, stalker, and so many more. As this is a dark bully romance there is a content warning for certain aspects that may be triggering. Sara mentions many of them at the beginning of the book, but if you want to know specifics send me a message.

Now I can't lie, I went into this book purely for the sports romance storyline. Bully romances are not my normal read, but every once in a while I find myself drawn to them. And certain authors have a way with this genre that keeps me on the edge of my seat wondering what is going to happen next. Brutal Obsession was no different. I mean heck in the prologue I was gasping, and my hand flew to my mouth. I was so freaking shocked at what had just happened. That portion of the story alone had me unable to put the book down. I may also have stayed up until 1:30am one night as I HAD TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED NEXT. Yes, I paid for it that morning. No I didn't finish the book at that point.

My rating for Brutal Obsession:


Honestly, I loved every single part of this book. EVERY SINGLE PART! Were there times where certain scenes pushed me out of my comfort zone a bit? Well yeah, but not so much so that I had issues. So those scenes weren't over the top.

Is this book dark? Yep! Yep it is. But again, not in an over the top or unenjoyable sense. It is the perfect balance. Sara did a fabulous job with the storytelling, and keeping me pulled in.

Is Grey possessive? ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY! This man knows what he wants, and he's going to get it. Plain and simple. Violet though is no delicate flower. She's feeling that pull, and is discovering so much about herself.

I loved the chase. I loved the protectiveness. I loved, and was a bit obsessed with, the suspense element of the story. That suspense storyline, oh my word. I wasn't expecting it to go that route, but looking back it all makes sense. (When you read the book you'll know what I'm talking about.)

Grey and Violet's story just might be my favorite of the month. There's competition with 2 other books, but they might just push their way to the top. And it would be a very Grey thing to do.

Now, Sara, can Willow be the female lead in the next book? PLEASE! I need that to happen. I just do. My curiosity is piqued with her.

Romance reader friends, you need to check this book out. From the suspense to the steam to just everything within the story, I was captivated. I think you'll enjoy this one.

Happy Reading,
Laura


He shattered my leg, and now he wants to ruin the rest of me.

Greyson Devereux is a menace–but only to me.
To everyone else, he’s charismatic.

He’s the son of a senator and the star of the university’s hockey team.

When all I want is to be invisible, he drags me into the spotlight.

He wants my blood, my fear, my attention.

Resisting him only worsens his obsession.
Fighting solidifies it.

He’s brutal, and he draws out a sick darkness in me that enjoys it.

But I’ll be damned if I let him become my downfall.



Thank you S Massery, and Candi Kane PR, for providing me with an advanced copy of Brutal Obsession.

Please note:

I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.

Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.

Thank you!