Monday, February 13, 2023

What I Read Last Week

Another week is done, and Valentine's Day is just around the corner. It's so strange to think that February is half over. That's just wild.

This week I read 7 books, and I loved the majority of them. There was a couple arcs, sports romance, a geeky romance, a few novellas, and of course books by Natasha Madison and Gina Azzi. By reading those two arcs, I also managed to cross off two more books from my anticipated reads list! With many of the books that I read I found myself laughing, I teared up a few times, and I definitely fell for many of the characters. All in all it was a good reading week.

Tell me about what you read last week. Any favorites? Any misses? What's the reading plan for this week?


Happy Reading,
Laura

Defensive Hearts by Alley Ciz


The banter in this book was top notch. I loved it so. That is something that Alley writes excellently. Plus all those text messages had me laughing. If only the gifs were visable. I could not get enough of the friendships, the hate to love, the tension, the steam, and those dang great danes. Those dogs were scene stealers on occasion.  Throughout this book I found myself laughing, swooning, and wanting to smack the characters upside the head. Also, the possessiveness? Yes please!

As You Wish by Angela Quarles



I loved the geeky elements that were featured in this novella/short story. I also liked the one night in Vegas storyline. That being said there wasn't enough story for me. The story to steam ratio was definitely not balanced, and I would have preferred to get to know the characters a bit more. I did post a review for this book here on my blog.

The Baby Blitz by Lex Martin



This story was pretty good. The hate to love is strong, and their past definitely affects their present. Things I enjoyed: their friendship, their past connection, the community that Michael brought to Maggie's life, the struggles that they went through financially and with their schedules, and the "villain". Of course I also liked the brother's best friend trope being featured, as we know that is a favorite of mine. Things I didn't like: the lack of chemistry between our main characters, the secrecy, the lack of communication and/or miscommunication, the reaction of Michael's parents, and the way Maggie so easily fell for the things that the villain told her. One other thing is the entire situation with the house. That just seemed like an unnecessary obstacle. But that's just me. 

The Disaster on 21st Street by JS Wood

This novella is all about Chris and April's upcoming Christmas wedding. To say it was chaos would be an understatement. Disaster on 21st Street was a quick and easy read. Plus it was nice to see all of the familiar faces once again, and coming together to celebrate their friends. And yes, I read this before reading The Right Swipe. Oops.

The Right Swipe by JS Wood

Since I read all about Chris and April's wedding, it was time to read their love story. I needed to see how they met, started dating, and of course fell in love. Awww, it's a Best Friends to Lovers story. I love that Chris is a big nerd. I'm here for it. I also liked that nod to You've Got Mail, as that is one of my favorite romcoms.

Unexpected Love Story by Natasha Madison

Oofta this story! Before I talk about Unexpected Love Story, I have to mention that it's been almost 3 years since I read Perfect Love Story. So I had forgotten who the main characters in that first book were. Now my mind is refreshed and I feel like I need to reread that story! At the beginning of Unexpected Love Story I teared up with the news Crystal had received, then I ugly cried with what had happened in Hailey's life, and then my emotions took a turn for the better when Gabe and Crystal met. It was at that point that I could begin to see what was going to happen with their relationship. I enjoyed so much of their story. From the banter, to trying to deny the feelings, to keeping it out of the workplace, to the possessiveness, to the steam...I was all in. Then there was that added suspense storyline that took a bit to catch my attention. Once it did though, my jaw dropped because dang! I really enjoyed this romance, and cannot wait to read Broken Love Story.

Healing My Heart by Gina Azzi


This is the final book in the Second Chance Chicago series, and I loved every single book. I also fell hard for the characters. That being said Charlie and Evan are different. I've seen their story being built since their series introduction, and I had been waiting to see how they found their happily ever after. That journey was not with out heartache, separation, selflessness, maturity, and the realization that this person was worth fighting for. The villain of the story is absolutely horrible, and I wish we had found out what ultimately happened to him. Charlie, Evan, and Ollie's story had me smiling, worried, happy, worried again, and then falling even harder for this new family. Gina Azzi is one of my autobuy authors for a reason. Her storytelling and character development is so good.







Please note:
I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.
Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.
Thank you!