Monday, February 6, 2023

What I Read Last Week


I read 9 fabulous books this week! From paranormal to small town to bully to sports romance, it was a phenomenal reading week. Plus I squeezed in a couple short stories that I found on Prime Reading. I love browsing through Prime Reading to see if anything catches my eye.

How did I manage to read 9 books? Well it definitely helped that 3 of them were under 60 pages! Plus there was one novella that was only 94 pages. So having those added in helped me out a lot.

Did you see my anticipated reads post that went up last week? If so, then you'll notice that four of these books were listed there. If you're curious about the tropes for these books, they are mentioned in that post.

What did you read last week? Any favorites? Any misses? What's on tap for this week?

Happy Reading,
Laura



Promised to the Night by Meg Anne and K Loraine



In this prequel we are introduced to Gavin. We find out how he and Rosie are thrust together, and this arranged marriage is put into motion. We also learn about Gavin, and his "darker" interests. Then we also find out the reason that Rosie ran, and started a new life in that small Alaskan town.



Claimed by the Shifters by Meg Anne and K Loraine



Ooh this second book in the series was an interesting read. So much happened, yet at the same time it didn't feel like a lot. Does that even make sense? All of Rosie's men are present. Secrets are revealed. We find out a little tidbit about Asher that has my attention. Cannot wait to hear more about that in Captive of the Night and Lost to the Moon. Pan had me laughing a few times with some of his thoughts/one liners. That ending though. WHAT WAS THAT?!? Wow. Meg and Kim are trying to torture us readers.


When We Meet by JH Croix



I knew going in that this was a prequel for the upcoming Fireweed Harbor series, so I wasn't 100% certain what to expect. When We Meet fills us in on the reunion between Rhys and Haven. Both have just returned to the small town after being gone for many years. Rhys and Haven have known each other for years, and the attraction has been there. Yet Rhys has been ignoring it because Haven is his best friend's little sister. Now though it's getting harder to ignore. Especially since they are neighbors. Things are headed toward a long term relationship, until a document appears. That is the cliffhanger we're left with, and I am very much ready for Make You Mine to be released in April. I need to know what happens next between these two!


Princess of Hawthorne Prep by Jennifer Sucevic

On Friday I shared my "thoughts I had while reading" post, and I had a lot during Princess of Hawthorne Prep. I did need to go back and read the ending of Prince of Hawthorne Prep just to refresh my memory, but that was just because it had been so long since reading. That being said, once my memory was refreshed, it all came rushing back. I realized how much I despise Jasper, Austin was going on and off my shit list, and I also had issues with Delilah's mom. All in all though I really enjoyed this story. Yes it had darker elements, it's a bully romance, and it's set in a posh high school. Yet those things didn't deter me one bit. I mean do I wish they had been in college instead? Yeah, of course, but that wasn't the case. There was so much drama and chaos in this book. Jasper was over the top with his assholeness, Austin was uber protective and possessive, and Duke just wanted to make sure his friend was safe. This duet is going to be playing out in my head for a while. I'm also hoping that Duke and Everly get their story told eventually.


Movie Star by Jessica Simpson

Oofta this essay. It was a mess. In my opinion, it really should have gone through another round of editing, as well as formatting. If it was Jessica's goal to tell about the time she was with this older movie star, then all of the excess shouldn't have been there. I found myself confused at times more than anything. Of course I also would have loved it had she just named names versus being vague. But I get it as to why she didn't. It does make me want to look back to see if I can figure out who it was, but I'm not that invested.


Take the Lead by Jessica Simpson


Okay this essay was a bit better. A bit. I understand what she was trying to relay to the reader. That being said it didn't "sound" like Jessica. It sounded like a ghost writer trying to be deeper than necessary. I guess part of me had a different expectation for this essay than what was delivered. That's 100% on me. I also would have liked it, since she mentioned journaling so much, if it would have been more journal style versus story based. If that makes sense. 



You Can't Kiss the Nanny, Brady Banks by Piper Rayne

I loved the characters and the storyline in this latest installment of the Kingsmen Football Stars series. Brady and Violet may have started as a one night stand who quickly got under each other's skin, but to see them be reunited six months later was so good. Then to see the attraction continuing to build until every came to a head in the pantry. Oh that pantry! I also really appreciated how Piper Rayne handled the single dad storyline especially since Theo was just turning six years old. We got to see him bond with Violet, and this new family get their start. The end of this book has me wanting Chase Andrew's story immediately. That one is going to be a doozy, and I cannot wait for Miles reaction to it all.

Final Offer by Lauren Asher

I wanted to love this book. I really did. Yet there were things that just didn't sit right for me. Did I enjoy the second chance romance and small town vibes? Oh absolutely. Did I enjoy how the town stood by Lana's side? I did, for the most part. Did I understand why Brady Kane did what he did? Nope, not one bit.  Did I like the fact that Cal was over the top with his spending and gift giving? Nope, not one bit. Did I like the way his addiction was played out? 100% no. That could have been handled much differently, and I hated (yes hated) all of it. Now don't get me wrong I had my issues with Lana as well. It was as though she was always looking to bring up past issues to tear him down. Plus she was very hot and cold. So while I liked parts of their romance, I also struggled quite a bit. Also, the length of this book was RIDICULOUS! 600 pages for a contemporary romance? Uh, not needed. Maybe for a paranormal romance, but definitely not for contemporary. This was way too long and filled with a lot of filler thoughts/scenes/details.


Made For You by Natasha Madison

I laughed. I cried. I swooned. I could not get enough of this story! Xavier Montgomery is a former NHL player who left the sport to work on his mental health. It was quite possibly the best decision he could have made, even though he misses hockey. Vivienne Grant just moved onto the boat next to his, and she captivates him. Vivienne is keeping a secret though, and only a handful of people know what it is. Together these two confide in each other, get to truly know the other, and of course fall in love. When Xavier told his story to Vivienne, and then later recounted it to others, I cried. This man has been through so much and didn't get the support (or help) he needed at the time. Also the Grant family makes frequent appearances, and I absolutely love when they do. To say I am a bit in love with that family (as well as the Hortons, Stones, etc) would be an understatement. I loved this story, and it was definitely different from the others that Natasha has written. I hope to see more of these vulnerable storylines in the future.



Please note:
I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program.
Purchases made through links above allow me to earn a small commission.
Thank you!